Saturday, November 13, 2010

Week 1

Since Thanksgiving is in two weeks I've decided to combine my first two weeks into one shopping list.  I'm using as much as possible from my pantry.  The hope is to have a little extra for our Thanksgiving Dinner.  I started my planning our menu for the two weeks.  I have a tentative menu for Thanksgiving as well.  If I have money left over I will alter the menu for Thanksgiving a little.  I write my menu from Saturday to Friday.  I usually go grocery shopping Saturday morning.  There seams to be plenty of managers specials and the adds from Wednesday are still in effect so I have had time to look at them for deals.

Step 1: I looked in the pantry to see what we had, and looked at grocery store adds to see what was on sale.  Luckily I take after my mother and had more than enough.

Step 2: Start compiling recipes that primarily use what I already have.

Step 3: Write the Menu

Step 4: Compile my shopping list

I've found that writing a menu and a shopping list are the easiest and most overlooked steps in sticking to a budget.  It was something I did even when I was employed.  It also helps if you have a busy schedule.  You can plan out your menu for the week to coincide with different events in the week.  I have class two nights a week, so for those weeks I always planned meals that I could make ahead and were easy for my husband to warm up, or the night before I would make plenty of something that was good as a leftover.

My menu for the next two weeks:
Sat: Spicy Broccoli Pasta                        Sat: Chickpea Cutlet Fritata
Sun: Spaghetti with Chickpeas               Sun: Vegan Fillet Mignon, Mashed Potatoes & Veggies           
Mon: Po'Boys and Sweet Potato Fries    Mon: Chili and Cornbread
Tues: Sweet Potato & Lentil Dal             Tues:  Black bean and Salsa Soup
Wed: Burrito Bowls                                Wed:  Cajun Black eyed Peas over Rice
Thur: Stir fry                                            Thur: Pumpkin Ravioli with Bourbon Cream Sauce and Wild Rice
Fri: Pizza                                                Fri: Leftovers

The shopping list:
Broccoli Slaw                                         Wild Rice
Chickpeas                                              Soy Milk
Bread                                                     Mayo
Hogie Rolls                                            Red Hot Peppers
Salsa                                                     Granola Bars
Frozen Veggies: Stir Fry, Side Dish        Canola Oil
BBQ Sauce                                           Applesauce
Sweet Potatoes

And I more than met my goal, $36.31 for two weeks!  Here's proof

                                (sorry the picture quality is so poor.  I was so excited I used my camera phone)

Of course when I got home I went to wash dishes and realized we're out of soap.  So back to the store for that, but I have $23.26 to use for that and Thanksgiving.  I'm a little shocked that I'm happy about a Thanksgiving budget of $20 since in previous years I haven't had a budget and spent well over $150 to feed the two of us.  Well time to plan a little menu for Thanksgiving, and I'll even get to have dessert!