Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Po'Boys

So after my last post you're probably wondering what the heck TVP is.  Well it is Textured Soy Protein, I know it sounds gross but if you do it right it tastes AMAZING.  One of those things is this Spicy Po'Boy.  I based it on this recipe from Annie's Eats.  It's a wonderful filling sandwich that is also very affordable.  I can get TVP in bulk at the natural food store for less than half of what I would spend on 1lb of ground meat; and the Red Hots (or any pepper) can be an affordable way to add flavor.  I can get 6 red hot peppers for $0.30.  The hoagie rolls I get at the supermarket are $2.50 for 6 rolls, this gives me enough for lunch, dinner and dunking in soup or serving with spaghetti.  I serve these with another healthy cheap addition, my homemade sweet potato fries and my favorite dipping sauce.
Spicy Po'Boys

Spicy TVP Balls
1 cup dried TVP
1/2 cup water
1/2 cube vegetable bullion
3/4 cup Vital Wheat Gluten
1T oil
1 1/2 tsp. paprika
1 1/4 tsp. dried thyme
3/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
3/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper

Po'Boy Spread
1/2 cup light or fat free mayonnaise
2T relish
1/2 small shallot, minced

Sandwiches
4 Hoagie Whole Wheat Hoagie Buns
3 Red Hots (red jalapenos)

Heat water and dissolve the bullion.  Add the TVP and remove from heat.  Allow the water to absorb into the TVP.  Once the TVP is rehydrated add the Vital Wheat Gluten and the Spices, mix until the TVP is completely coated and the mixture is sticky.   Mix in oil.  Allow to cool enough for you to handle.  Once cooled shape into balls, about golf ball size, and place on a greased cookie sheet.  Once all the balls are formed baked at 400 degrees for 25-30 min or until the balls are golden and crispy.

For the sauce dice the shallot and put in a small mixing bowl.  Add the relish and the mayo.  Mix and place in the refrigerator until ready to assemble the sandwiches.

Before the balls are done baking julienne the peppers.  Cut the hoagie rolls for sandwiches, spread the sauce on inside of the sandwich and sprinkle in some of the peppers, add the TVP balls while still warm and enjoy!

This should make 4-6 sandwiches depending on how many TVP balls you put on each sandwich, I usually use 3 per sandwich.