Friday, November 12, 2010

The Challenge

My name is Anna, I live in the Midwest with my husband and our vary spoiled Beagle.  I also find myself in a position not unlike many of our friends and neighbors, laid off.  My husband and I are looking at all of our expenses and trying to find out whats a necessity and what can be cut.  One of the expenses we have that I know we can try to reduce is our food budget.  We had been spending $60 a week for the two of us and we don't eat meat.  Not to mention eating out.  I'm a vegetarian and my husband doesn't eat meat at home.  Beans, rice and frozen vegetables are affordable, so my thought was that if I base our diet on these three things with occasionally supplementing sale item I should be able to succeed.  This is my diary; be it a success or a failure I promise to truthfully share my experience with you. 

Tonight I am going to go pantry shopping.  I will look at what I have in my pantry and see what I can make.  I'm starting off with a full cupboard, I have only been jobless for two days.  So I still have plenty of spices and canned beans and tomatoes.  In a month or two it will probably be a different story.  Either way pantry shopping can provide a very tasty meal with little muss and fuss.  It's a great way to clean out the cupboards or to save some money.  I think everyone should do a pantry meal at least once a month.  Why don't you challenge yourself tonight and do a little pantry shopping, you might surprise yourself.